Friday, February 21, 2014

then there was one...

Bula from Fiji!

Well here I am alone! What a funny trip this has been!

After a week of trying to care for Lenore and convince both Teri and Lenore that she was actually sick enough to be admitted straight to the hospital... Lenore was admitted. At 76 yrs old, she had been suffering with diarrhea for 4 days, unable to eat or drink for 3 days and had lost 10kg - everything in me was saying she needs the hospital - NOW!

She stayed there for 4 days with constant IV drips to replace lost fluids and minister antibiotics for the diarrhea, and was discharged only due to the influx of dengue patients and shortage of beds. Her family decided to fly her daughter-in-law in to come and collect her and take her home. So Lenore left on Wednesday and although I am very sad to see her go, I am also incredibly relieved to be released of the responsibility of caring for her, as the fever had been affecting her decision making and behavior.

Teri has also gone with Ruth (Principal Mika's daughter) to help her settle into QLD university and then will go to Sydney to see her new granddaughter.

So I am home alone! Last night was the most quiet it's been here, no dogs, no parties. It was wonderful! And this morning it was a beautiful cool 26 degrees until 10am. So I lay in my bed, reading with the breeze blowing over me. Usually by the time I wake at 7:00am it's already 28-30 degrees and I drip just sitting in my bed.

Presenting the boxes of goods to the local primary schools.


Teri & Mika in the papers again.


Fully finished form 7 (year 13) classroom. It is now the coolest room in the school.
The container classrooms still progressing. Even though Basden has paid in full, work has now slowed on the classrooms as Wade the project manager teeters towards bankruptcy (he was running too many other projects at the same time).


Lenore had a doctor visit her at home on Friday morning who administered two drips. She should have just sent her straight to the hospital. She convinced Lenore she would be fine by the afternoon, but spoke to me privately and told me that she was right on the edge and that I needed to watch her hourly to monitor her eating and drinking to keep her alive. By Saturday she went down hill again and after much persuasion Lenore was admitted to hospital the next day. I got home from the hospital at 2:00am Sunday morning.

Lenore was waiting in the waiting room for 2hrs. She couldn't sit up that long. Mika stroked her hair & sang Jesus loves you, this I know.
Foster Dog has replaced foster cat. Dog was my favourite until he jumped on my new shirt with muddy paws. I pushed him away with my umbrella and he proceeded to bite my arms. I don't like Dog now.


I saw these birds eating paw paw outside the school office window.

Teaching year 10's colour mixing as set by the Fijian curriculum.

Using new tools donated by Australians.

The kids work in groups of 4 with only two pieces of paper.

Sadly only the neatest kids get to have a go.


Trying out new watercolour inks.


My placement at Basden seemed to fall through. I was no longer receiving any referrals to pray for kids or to do any art therapy work. And I had no desire to attempt to be a school teacher and take over Va's classes while she was off on maternity leave. We were only allowed to visit Lenore from 6:30-7:00am, 1-2pm and 6-8pm, so Lenore's sickness gave me the perfect opportunity to get out of Basden during the day to see whatever pastures God might have me. I decided to drop into St Giles Mental Health Hospital and as I walked around the corner I saw these 2 Christian trucks parked by the side of the road. I felt firmly encouraged to go ahead and do what was in my heart to explore.


Spectacular view of Suva harbour.




I spoke with Dr Peni the head psychiatrist and also Nurse Loloma about the possibility of setting up some art therapy groups. They are very interested in learning from me all that they can.

Murals of hope at St Giles


Terry Walk in Suva City


We were asked to badge all the prefects at a special presentation and to speak on leadership. They gave us special garlands as the guests of honour.

Lenore and Chaplain Mereti who teaches RE in the primary school.

The head boy and head girl of the school, and their seconds, were honoured at a special tea.
After speaking to Master Mika about my placement within the school not working, he organised for me to meet up with Mereti, the chaplain, who visits members of the poor Newtown community every afternoon to pray for them and listen to their needs. She has a beautiful heart and is very honest. As we walked up to her house we sloshed in the mud. Walking around Newtown is precarious, with tiny rocky, slippery paths, surrounded by pools of mud. I was shocked when I saw her house within the community. It was a small wood house. As I stepped in, I wasn't sure where to step because there were big gaps between the beams and with all the rain, I was scared they were rotten and would snap under me. The whole house appeared to be sloping down towards the hill, and a ball would have rolled to one side if it didn't fall through the gaps onto the ground. She was dressed so lovely, I did not know how she kept so clean.

Mereti shares the gospel strings Lenore gave her.

A large sheltered space outside the house. This is one of the largest buildings I'd seen in the community.

Several families were living there at that time.

Newtown community.

A boy waved at us.

People are always near the doorways, looking. You think no one is around, but someone is always watching.

Toilets.

A boy plays with a bottle in the puddle.

No ipads & fancy technology to keep kids amused. Old fashioned games of running with tyres are still in style.

Bai, a former police officer, was made unemployed in the last coup. He now supports his extended family with no income. I prayed for him and his family. The lady wept. I'm not sure what was going on for her, but she seemed deeply grieved.

Mereti shares the gospel strings with Willie.
 I met Willie on my first visit to the community. He was the most heartbroken, down hearted man I'd ever met. He lost his foot to diabetes (40% of Fijians have diabetes) and could not work and he's lost feeling in his arm too. I prayed for him and noticed as we left he tucked a knife blade away. I think he had been thinking of committing suicide. He seemed in much better spirit this day.

Mereti handing out Lenore's medical supplies to Tulia. Tulia has rotting feet.

Mereti and her finished 'pom pom' (beanie)

Lenore teaches her how to make them. She captures the vision and wants to teach a group of young mums, who are ostracised within the church community.

Lenore says goodbye to her adopted son "stephen" (Safen the Taxi Driver)
So long 3 Musketeers...it's been real.
Mereti teaches the young mums.






Yesterday, I decided it was time to do what I came here to do...find a beach to rest on! So 2 buses and 2 hours later I made it to Pacific Harbour.



Finally a real sandy beach! The water was delightful!
I caught this double rainbow this afternoon.



Finally managed to capture a mongoose!




No comments:

Post a Comment