Sunday, December 29, 2013

Here I am Suva!

Well I was still packing right up until the final minute...

My studio, bathroom, bedroom & attic storage were all finally stripped bare & boxed, with half off it put into storage. I was absolutely exhausted, and very grateful for my Mum & Dad's help in carrying & unloading so many boxes for me. I knew it would take a miracle to get me all packed up and out of the house by the 27th...and God provided the miracle! If ever I doubted my call, well I knew I only got it all done by the supernatural grace of God. I am so, so grateful to the Women's bible study group who prayed for me and sent me bible verses, prayers & words to encourage me. Thank you ladies, you gave me the supernatural courage to go on and keep pushing ahead for the reward set before me!

I left home an hour and a half late... Headed for the ibis hotel near the airport because we had to be at the airport at 4:30am for the 6:30am flight. We were so excited we went to Maccas for a cuppa and had a late night!


Day 1

We arrived in Nadi (pronounced Nandi) and met Mika who had arranged a private van to drive us all the across the country to Suva. It was a beautiful drive along the Fiji coast, and I was showered in a cup of joy! ...which was Lenore's Fijian icecream that melted so fast with the hot air blowing on it from the open van windows, that both Lenore & I were splattered... imagine holding a hair dryer to an icecream and you get the picture!

From Nadi to Suva

As we approached Suva the weather became more tropical and rainy. After seeing the beautiful weather on the rest of the island, I felt disappointed that we seemed to be staying in the most unpleasant & wettest area. It continued to rain for the rest of the night, & I tried to console myself to the heat, humidity and rain.




Day 2

I need not have worried or feared! The next morning the sun was back, still hot as ever, but it made Suva seem a much brighter, more friendly place!

View from our apartment

We visited a high Anglican Church in the morning and met Claude, the assistant to the archbishop and then we went to a supermarket. I was surprised at how much they had... I need not have worried! In the evening we went to Butt St Methodist church and I met a young lady psych graduate from the UK. She came over to do her DTS and stayed on to do volunteer counselling with the police. She said she would ask if there's work for me in the women's crisis centre.

Sunset over Suva


Day 3

This morning we had a meeting with Claude to ask him to write a church letter of recommendation for our volunteer permits. Mika has been having trouble understanding what I can do with my "therapeutic art" as he calls it, and was telling Claude that I could work with his kindy & Sunday school kids... Lenore and I saw a brochure for "House of Sarah" a support and referral service for abused women, so I told Claude I could work in that field. Mika listened and took a brochure...I am praying that God will give him or me a clear picture of what I am to do here, or where I can best fit in, as I don't have any idea why I am here or what use I can be.

This afternoon we gave a presentation of container classrooms for the ministry of education and the director of asset management. I was still dressed in beach pants & a singlet top because Teri had reassured me not to bring nice church clothes as I would be too hot and sitting in the dirt... Guess not!!

Waiting to see what God will do!


No comments:

Post a Comment